A good night’s sleep is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your body. Without it, you’ll notice adverse effects like daytime fatigue, irritability, and a lack of focus. Even worse, though, is what you may not notice. If you have sleep apnea in Colorado Springs, you are more prone to health problems like high blood pressure and stroke.Dr. Craig Sommer Talks about Sleep Apnea Read Transcript
It's incredibly important to get a good night's rest. If you have something called sleep apnea, you don't get a good night's rest, and that can affect your overall health. It reduces oxygen to your heart. It keeps you from functioning well. If you think you might be experiencing sleep apnea or a loved one might be experiencing sleep apnea, come to our office so that we can do an evaluation process and determine whether or not a sleep apnea appliance may be the solution for that fitful nighttime sleep.
Dr. Craig Sommer provides sleep apnea treatment that will:
- Stop your snoring, so you and other members of your household will sleep better
- Enable you to breathe easily by keeping your airway clear
- Relieve unpleasant sleep apnea symptoms like headaches and fatigue
- Make it easier to stay awake and focused during the day
- Keep you healthier by keeping your immune system stronger
If you wake gasping for air or experience other symptoms, call 719-249-5796 for a consultation with Dr. Sommer.
Relieve Sleep Apnea Symptoms With a Custom Mouthguard vs. a CPAP
Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when your tongue or another obstruction blocks your airway while you rest, causing you to gasp for breath and briefly awaken. For many sleep apnea sufferers, this can happen as many as hundreds of times a night. The two most common kinds of sleep apnea treatment are a CPAP machine and a mouthguard. Both keep your airway open as you sleep, the CPAP with a stream of forced air and the mouthguard by gently moving your jaw forward.
Many people find a mouthguard easier to adjust to than a CPAP. A mouthguard is:
- Less Invasive – With a mouthguard, you won’t wear an uncomfortable mask over your face. Since there is no forced air, you also won’t awaken with a dry mouth or throat.
- Less Disruptive – With no mask, tubing, or noise, a mouthguard is less likely to interfere with your sleep routine – or the sleep habits of your bed partner.
- More Convenient – You can slip a mouthguard into a purse or pocket, so it can easily go anywhere with you.
Unlike mouthguards purchased from a store or online, Dr. Sommer will use digital impressions of your teeth and other measurements for your custom mouthguard. This ensures a comfortable fit and effective results.