You’ll find no mercury in our tooth fillings in Colorado Springs. At Springs Dentist, we use only mercury-free fillings because they are better for you and for the environment.Dr. Craig Sommer Talks about Tooth Fillings and Removing Mercury Fillings Read Transcript
Having cavities is an incredibly common thing in dentistry, and the most common way to approach those is to remove the decay and place tooth-colored fillings. Unfortunately, mercury fillings have been used for many, many years to take care of cavities. One of the downsides of mercury fillings is they tend to put cracks in teeth when you chew on them. The other concern people have is the presence of mercury, which is a toxic element.
If you have a desire to have teeth evaluated to see whether or not you have mercury fillings, or if you'd like to have those fillings removed safely, we can use something that's called the SMART technique, which is a Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique, so you're not exposed to mercury vapors, mercury particles, or mercury chunks that you could swallow during the removal process. If that's something you would like to do, please come into our office, and we can show you how easily that can be taken care of.
Our metal-free fillings:
- Look Natural in Your Smile – Our dental fillings are made of mercury-free, biocompatible materials that we can match to your other teeth. You won’t have to worry about any silver spots in your smile!
- Pose No Mercury-Related Health Risks – Mercury is a neurotoxin. While the FDA considers its use in dental fillings safe for adults, some research has linked mercury in fillings to adverse health effects. Since we believe in playing it safe where your health is concerned, we don’t use metal fillings.
- Require Less Alteration of Your Tooth – Our fillings require us to remove less healthy tooth structure than with amalgam (metal) fillings.
- Are Easier on the Environment – Even with filtration systems designed for safe disposal of amalgam waste, some mercury gets into waste water as well as sludge from treatment plants. It ultimately ends up in our food, such as fish.
If you’re interested in metal-free fillings, call 719-249-5796.
Our Dentist Is Certified to Safely Remove Mercury Fillings
While there has been no definitive link between mercury in fillings and adverse health effects, the World Health Organization considers mercury detrimental to health. Studies show that people experience a reduction in the amount of mercury in their blood and urine following the removal of mercury fillings. Since he is certified by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology in its Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART), Dr. Craig Sommer can safely remove your amalgam fillings so they can be replaced with composite fillings.
We Provide Other Dental Restorations TooLaura Talks about having her Mercury Fillings Removed Read Transcript
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I had a lot of muscle pain. I was also given a secondary diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica. So, I was hurting. I could not work. I'm a reader. I read everything and I Googled everything and found out that, especially in alternative health, they have discovered that these kinds of heavy metals, particularly those in the amalgam fillings such as mercury, are very detrimental to the human body. And there are those of us who just do not detox these metals very well. And so we need to have them removed. However, when they're removed, the mercury in particular releases fumes that are detrimental to not only the patient but the dental staff. So, when I found in the literature that there was now available the technology for safer mercury amalgam removal, a special technique, the SMART technique, I began to Google, well, were there any practitioners? And most conventional dentists don't do it.
And so when I was able to find through a friend about Dr. Sommer, I was just thrilled, and to find that he was a local and that I could do this. It was relieving to me when I had my fillings removed that I didn't have to do anything. I just laid there with my mouth open. They always were talking to me, and they were explaining to me ahead of time what they were going to do, and they're very professional and very concerned with medical sterility, and they just got right to business and got me through the procedure comfortably.
Depending on the size of a cavity or other damage to your tooth, you may need one of our other metal-free dental restorations:
- Dental Crown – A crown covers your entire tooth, so it does a better job than a filling of repairing severe dental decay. It can fix other damage too, including a broken tooth.
- Inlay or Onlay – These restorations cover more tooth surface than a filling but less than a crown. Since they require removal of less tooth structure than a crown, they are a more conservative fix.
For tooth fillings in Colorado Springs, call 719-249-5796.