We recommend you visit us at least twice a year for dental cleanings and exams in Colorado Springs. They are among the most essential general dental services for ensuring your dental health – and your overall health too.Dr. Craig Sommer Talks about what to expect during a first time exam Read Transcript
Our new patient exams at our office are very comprehensive. We take a look at the tooth problems that potentially could be there. We have diagnostic X-rays using digital X-rays, which is an excellent technology that minimizes radiation but gathers good information. We are heavy into photography so that we can take photographs and show you what's actually going on in your own mouth, so you have the ability to understand when we make a recommendation why it's so important. We check out gum health, trying to keep things in good shape there, because every bit of gum bacteria that remains behind in your mouth on a daily basis creates problems for your heart, your brain, and even can wind up making cancer a bigger concern in your life. So if we can get those examinations made, identify the things that are of concern, and show you what can be done to improve that, your life can be improved as far as overall health and wellness.
At your exam and cleaning, we will:
- Remove plaque from your teeth to help prevent bad bacteria from accumulating
- Look for signs of oral cancer
- Ensure you understand how proper diet and oral hygiene can improve your health
- Discuss possible treatments for any dental issues that need to be addressed
- Share images of your mouth from our intraoral camera so you can better understand your treatment options
You won’t feel rushed during your exam; we’re happy to answer any questions you have. To schedule your next exam, call 719-249-5796.
See an Up-Close View of Your Mouth to Better Understand Your Options
One of Dr. Craig Sommer’s favorite tools for his extensive dental exams is an intraoral camera. He uses the tiny digital camera to see into every corner of your mouth, with less poking and prodding. This makes your exams more comfortable. In addition, he can use images to:
- Detect problems like early evidence of decay before it can be seen by the naked eye
- Show you exactly what is happening in your mouth and better explain your treatment options
- More easily document the progress of dental treatment
- Provide visual documentation for insurance claims
He also uses digital X-rays, which are faster and more comfortable than film X-rays and use less radiation too.
Make Sure Your Dental Exam Goes Well
We want your dental exam to go well – and we know you do too. Here are some tips to help ensure your exams go smoothly:
- Bring paperwork. Bring your insurance card or other documents you may need. To save time, you can download and fill out patient forms before your appointment.
- Ask questions. If you have questions or concerns, your dental exam is the time to address them. Write them down beforehand so you don’t forget.
- Book your next visit. We typically like to see you for dental exams every six months. Make your next appointment right after your exam so you don’t forget.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing your teeth every day is the best way to ensure a dental exam goes well.
For dental cleanings and exams in Colorado Springs, call 719-249-5796.