When you think about staying healthy, you probably think about exercise, your diet, and perhaps vitamins. You may not even consider your dental health – but you should. At Springs Dentist, we practice general dentistry in Colorado Springs based on the growing body of research that shows a clear connection between oral health and overall body health.Dr. Craig Sommer Talks about the benefits of visiting a Holistic General Dentist Read Transcript
People need to visit a general dentist on occasion in order to make sure they're staying healthy. We can identify small problems before they become costly and expensive to fix, and the best way to do that is to have regular checkups.
The things we'll be looking for would be cavities in teeth, gum concerns, bleeding of the gums, things along that line that can get so much worse and can cause them so much more damage if they're not addressed early.
If you're looking for a dentist to try and help you get back into good health, consider a holistic dentist. The dentist is focused on whole body health and its relationship to the health in your mouth. We can do that. We can bring you into an awareness of what's going on. We can help you make decisions that will improve your health overall for the rest of your life.
With our general dental care, we will:
- Help you eliminate bacteria that causes problems like cavities and gum disease
- Suggest lifestyle changes that can benefit your oral health and overall well-being
- Create a healthy balance between problem-causing bacteria and beneficial bacteria
- Treat issues like dry mouth that can cause dental problems and negatively impact your health
- Teach you proper home oral hygiene to keep your mouth healthy
Preserve Your Teeth & Your Health With Preventive Dental Care
An ounce of dental prevention is worth a pound of cure. So we offer many preventive services to make you less prone to problems like gum disease. They include:
- Dental Exams – Dr. Craig Sommer looks for early signs of problems like dental decay and gum disease. Treating them as soon as possible keeps them from causing more serious health issues.
- Dental Cleanings – Regular cleanings help keep your teeth free of problematic bacteria.
- Dry Mouth Treatment – A lack of saliva allows bad bacteria to proliferate and is a major cause of dental decay. We’ll suggest products and lifestyle changes that can help.
- Gum Disease Treatment – While we focus on preventing gum disease, we can also eliminate it in its early stages with a deep cleaning treatment or laser therapy. Left untreated, gum disease can cause tooth loss. It is also associated with numerous health issues, including diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Dental Sealants – These thin plastic coatings provide a physical barrier that prevents bacteria from getting into the grooves and fissures on tooth surfaces where they can cause decay.
- Custom Mouthguards – We can fit you for mouthguards that protect your teeth during athletic activities. We can also provide mouthguards that relieve jaw pain associated with TMJ dysfunction. If you suffer from sleep apnea, a custom-made mouthguard can make it possible for you to breathe easily throughout the night.
Fight Cavities Without Fluoride
Unlike some dentists, we do not recommend fluoride treatments. We believe most people ingest enough fluoride – or more than they need – through water, processed foods, and other sources. There is no need to apply it to teeth in a highly concentrated form. Sodium fluoride, the kind used by dentists, accumulates in your teeth, bones, and cartilage. Over time it may affect how your brain and other organs function.
In addition, an overreliance on fluoride has taken focus from better ways to prevent cavities:
- Good oral hygiene
- Diet low in refined sugars and carbohydrates
- Maintaining healthy levels of saliva, a natural cavity fighter
Dr. Sommer is happy to talk to you about the proper uses of fluoride.