Few dental treatments change your smile as dramatically as veneers! You can use them to modify the size, shape, and color of your teeth, giving you the smile you’ve always wanted. You’ll want to keep veneers in great shape for as long as you can. Fortunately, with our help it’s not too difficult.
At Springs Dentist we use mostly e.max veneers, which are made of a special kind of durable and stain-resistant ceramic. You can keep them in top shape with our tips:
- Start With a Healthy Smile
- Use Proper Brushing Products & Technique
- Protect Veneers From Damage
- See Us for Regular Exams & Cleanings
Take Care of Any Dental Problems Before Getting Veneers
You’ll enjoy the best results with veneers – or any dental restoration – if you start with a healthy smile. If you’ve got any cavities or any signs of gum disease, we’ll need to treat those problems before you get veneers. We’ll also assess you to determine veneers are the best option for you.
We may recommend an alternate solution if:
- You Have Thin Enamel – If your enamel is too thin, it will be tough to affix veneers to the front surface of your teeth. A crown can be a good option in this situation.
- Your Teeth Are Weak – Similarly, if you have large fillings or otherwise lack dental structure, a crown may better suit your smile.
- Your Teeth Have Major Misalignment – Veneers are sometimes called “instant orthodontics” because of their ability to hide slightly crooked teeth. But if you have more serious issues with bite alignment, you’ll want to consider Invisalign or other orthodontic treatment.
Brush Gently to Keep Veneers in Great Shape
Brushing gently is always a good idea – but especially if you have dental veneers. When brushing:
- Use only a soft-bristled brush
- Avoid toothpastes that contain baking soda, which can be too abrasive for veneers, and/or hydrogen peroxide
- Select a gel toothpaste rather than a paste
- If you can’t brush after eating or drinking staining liquids such as coffee or soda, rinse your mouth with water
Treat Your Teeth With Care to Protect Veneers
While e.max veneers are quite durable, they aren’t indestructible. To keep veneers in great shape:
- Don’t chew on popcorn kernels, ice, or other hard substances
- Don’t open bottles or containers with your teeth, or use them for other purposes for which they aren’t intended
- Wear a mouthguard while playing sports
- If you grind or clench teeth in your sleep, get a night guard to protect them
See Us at Least Twice a Year for Exams
One of the best dental habits – with or without veneers – is seeing us at least twice a year for an exam and cleaning. We’ll polish veneers during a cleaning, to help keep them looking beautiful. Dr. Sommer will also check for issues such as:
- Receding gums, which can expose the area where your teeth meet your veneers
- Deterioration or discoloration in the bond between your teeth and veneers
- Small chips or similar flaws in the surface of your veneers
If he finds any of these problems, he can correct them before they become more serious.
Want to keep veneers in great shape? Call Springs Dentist today at 719-249-5796 or schedule an appointment online in Colorado Springs, CO.