You could call Dr. Craig Sommer a “green” dentist because early in his career, he became aware of the environmental impact of industrial processes and contaminants. As a result, his thinking is holistic, or whole body in nature. He is acutely aware of your dental health and its connection to your whole body health. Fortunately, this thinking influences every aspect of his practice.
His educational and work backgrounds allow him to approach dentistry with a unique perspective. He received his undergraduate degree in chemical engineering from the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, CO, where he earned high scholastic honors and was selected to be a member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society. While working as an engineer in Los Angeles, he learned about the impact of industrial processes and the potential for contamination. This experience later gave him a critical eye to some of the techniques and materials used in dentistry.
He received his DDS from the UCLA School of Dentistry. While at UCLA, he was appointed a Regents Scholar. He was also selected for a general practice residency program at what is now known as the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare Center on Wilshire Boulevard.
Dr. Sommer successfully operated two thriving practices in Northern California before returning to his Colorado home. He has been caring for the Colorado Springs community from our convenient location since 1992.
His current and previous professional affiliations include:
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Colorado Dental Association
- Colorado Springs Dental Society
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies (LVI), where he received cosmetic dentistry training
- International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
- Academy of Biomimetic Dentistry
- International Academy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine (IABDM)